My version of "fried green tomatoes"

torstai 22. lokakuuta 2020

  

As we still have plenty of unripe, green tomatoes in the garden I decided to make a batch of fried tomatoes for lunch. I haven't been a great fan of this dish earlier, but now I tried out a somewhat upgraded way of preparing the slices before frying them. And they turned out extremely yummy, I must admit. Ask my husband, if you doubt my words!
 Feel free to use whatever spices you like; I only used salt and pepper  and then served them with a hot sriracha mayo instead. Remember to enjoy the fried tomatoes WARM, that means you should eat them straight out of the pan.
If you haven't seen the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" (Oscar Award-winning), I urge you to do so. Or read the book that the movie was based on (1987).



Ingredients (light lunch 2-3 persons):

5 medium-sized green tomatoes, thinly sliced

1 dl all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons salt 

2 teaspoons black pepper

2 dl crushed small pretzels/salted crackers/wasabi nuts/salted peanuts

2-3 eggs, beaten

butter/oil for frying




1. Stir together the flour, salt and pepper (and other dry spices that you want to use). Place the crushed pretzels/crackers/nuts in another bowl. Beat the eggs slightly in a third bowl.


2. Melt the butter (or oil) in a large pan over medium heat. Dip each tomato slice first in the beaten egg, then in the flour mixture. Dip the floured tomato slice once more in the egg and then into the crushed pretzels/crackers/nuts.


3. Place the coated tomato slices in the hot pan and fry until golden brown on each side. It takes about 3-5 minutes/side. Add more butter/oil to the pan if necessary. SERVE IMMEDIATELY, THE TOMATOES DON'T TASTE AS DELICIOUS LATER WHEN COLD. 



Note: I coated half the batch in crumbs made of salted peanuts and wasabi nuts and the other half in salted pretzel crumbs. They were both delicious, but as we like spicy I must admit that the wasabi-peanut version was the winning concept, both texture- and tastewise.







Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti